In honor of Doctor Seuss’ birthday yesterday, I thought I’d share some of my favorite Seuss books. When I met my husband, I was horrified to find out that his parents wouldn’t let him read Dr. Seuss because there were made up words. OH NO!
I cut my reading teeth on Dr. Seuss, and my kid did the same. Here are some of our favorites:
1. One of the first books I ever remember reading as a little was “Green Eggs and Ham”. Honestly, which of you has never said, in response to something, “I would do that in a box, I would do that with a fox”? I still do it today. A fun tidbit… there was a period of time when my (much older) siblings had to make dinner for me (single mom at work), and they would make it interesting by adding food coloring to things. So, I’ve had pink potatoes, and I’ve even had green eggs (though the ham was normal colored).
2. “Oh the Places You’ll Go” wasn’t super popular until I was an adult, but was an amazing book it is. Dr. Seuss is always fun and encouraging, but this book is a step above.
3. “Horton Hears a Who” … oh my word, how I adore Horton and the way he stood up to those who ridiculed him. How he did everything he could to help the Whos in Whoville. He was my hero…
4. “Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories” — LOVE! I had a stuffed turtle named after this book when I was a tween.
5. “Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book” — I dare you to get through this without yawning at least once. A *great* bedtime story!
6. Think left and think right! “Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!” if only you try … I nearly had this book memorized.
7. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” …
And what happened then…?
Well… in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch’s small heart
Grew three sizes that day!
And the minute his heart didn’t feel quite so tight,
He whizzed with his load through the bright morning light
And he brought back the toys! And the food and the feast!
… HE HIMSELF…!
The Grinch carved the roast beast!
Another interesting tidbit … I never liked “The Cat in the Hat” even as a kid. I used to get so annoyed those kids were so naughty and never got punished. LOL!
What’s your favorite Dr. Seuss book? Why?